IT technical support officers are mainly responsible for the smooth running of computer systems and ensuring users get maximum benefits from them. Individual tasks vary depending on the size and structure of the organisation.
- Installing and configuring computer hardware operating systems and applications;
- Monitoring and maintaining computer systems and networks;
- Talking staff or clients through a series of actions, either face-to-face or over the telephone, to help set up systems or resolve issues;
- Troubleshooting system and network problems and diagnosing and solving hardware or software faults;
- Replacing parts as required;
- Providing support, including procedural documentation and relevant reports;
- Following diagrams and written instructions to repair a fault or set up a system;
- Supporting the roll-out of new applications;
- Setting up new users’ accounts and profiles and dealing with password issues;
- Responding within agreed time limits to call-outs;
- Working continuously on a task until completion (or referral to third parties, if appropriate);
- Prioritising and managing many open cases at one time;
- Rapidly establishing a good working relationship with customers and other professionals, such as software developers;
- Testing and evaluating new technology.
- Conducting electrical safety checks on computer equipment.
- The ability to think logically;
- A good memory of how software and operating systems work;
- Excellent listening and questioning skills, combined with the ability to interact confidently with clients to establish what the problem is and explain the solution;
- The ability to work well in a team;
- Problem solving skills;
- A strong customer/client focus;
- The ability to prioritize your workload;
- Attention to detail.
- Business information technology;
- Business systems engineering;
- Computer networking and hardware;
- Computer science;
- Computer software development;
- Information technology;
- Internet engineering;
- Software engineering.
Job Type: Full – Time
Scientific Analytical Tools - 30+ days ago
How to Apply?