AUH - Government Relations Officer A2(L)
The British Embassy Abu Dhabi has a vacancy for a Government Relations Officer.
The Protocol & Government Relations Department is vital to the efficient running of the British Diplomatic missions in the UAE. The purpose of this role is to enable staff of the British Embassy to obtain the necessary permissions to live, work, and perform their duties in the UAE and to assist the Embassy and its visitors in conducting their business in the UAE.
The jobholder will be responsible for the delivery of effective government relations/ PRO duties. This is a challenging role that requires excellent interpersonal and customer handling skills. You will be responsible for making applications to and liaising with a wide range of UAE government authorities. You will be a strong team player and will work closely with colleagues within the Protocol & Government Relations Department and UAE HR Department to enable staff to live and work in the UAE.
There is a requirement to occasionally work out of hours, including assisting with the arrival of staff/ VIPs or other protocol duties. There will also be a requirement to travel to Dubai occasionally for work purposes, including to provide cover for our Dubai-based Government Relations Officer during periods of absence.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Dealing with UAE authorities regarding the smooth arrival and departure of UK-based staff and Embassy VIPs/ guests.
- Receiving, recording, organising, prioritising work and updating customers on progress.
- Preparing applications for submission to UAE authorities, the majority of which will need to be written in Arabic.
- Arranging Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MoFAIC) clearance, employment visas, and Emirates IDs for staff.
- Liaising with the entities such as MoFAIC, Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (ICA), Ministry of Interior (MoI), Customs, Traffic Department, British Council and other Embassies and Consulates.
- Assisting with driving licences, alcohol licences, and vehicle registrations for diplomatic staff.
- Arranging with Customs and contractors the release of unaccompanied airfreight, heavy baggage, and cargo for UK-based staff and/ or the Embassy.
- Obtaining UAE visit visas for staff from other British Embassies.
- Obtaining visas from other Embassies to enable Embassy staff to carry out their duties abroad.
- Arranging meetings for Embassy officials with UAE authorities, maintaining relationships between the Embassy and various government or official departments.
- Providing guidance about UAE processes and procedures.
- Drafting note verbales to UAE government departments.
- Attending VVIP movements and acting as translator when required.
- Taking part in part in Embassy’s emergency planning and response to a crisis affecting UK citizens.
Key competencies required:
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectively planning, organising and managing time and activities to deliver a high quality and efficient service. Being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Collaborating and Partnering - Creating and maintaining positive, professional, and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the organisation to help get business done. Working collaboratively, sharing information and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
- Changing and Improving - Being responsive and innovative, and seeking out opportunities to create effective change. Being open to change, suggesting ideas for improvements to the way things are done, and working in ‘smarter’, more focused ways.
- Leading and Communicating - Leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. Managing and engaging with people with honesty and integrity, and upholding the reputation of the organisation.
- Experience working as a PRO for a major multinational company or international organisation for a minimum of three (3) years.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Arabic, both verbal and written (a written assessment will be conducted as part of the interview).
- Good knowledge of the ICA and smart system.
- Experience of working in or dealing with the UAE Government: Immigration, Customs, MoI, and other UAE authorities.
- A confident communicator with excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to engage at all levels internally and with external contacts, and collaborate effectively across Embassy teams.
- Excellent customer service skills. Demonstrates courtesy and consideration in dealing with internal and external contacts.
- Strong work ethic and demonstrates high level of professionalism.
- Resourcefulness in solving problems and demonstrates good judgement.
- Ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to meet multiple and changing priorities.
- Proven record of organisational ability. Ability to prioritise and organise own workload and meet deadlines, while maintaining attention to detail and without compromising the quality of the work.
- Excellent IT skills and office administration skills, with good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly MS Excel which will be used for recording data and producing reports.
- Holds a valid UAE driving license.
- Ability to work out of hours where required, including evenings and weekends.
- Previous experience working as PRO for an embassy or foreign diplomatic mission or its equivalent.
- Previous experience working for UAE Government agencies/ offices.
- Knowledge of local UAE labour law.
- Knowledge of Immigration, Customs, and MoI laws in the UAE.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree.
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including: 25 days of annual leave per annum, on-site swimming pool, gym, and sports facilities.
Salary is at AED 11,108 per month.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07:30 to 15:06, including a lunch break of 36 minutes, from Sunday to Thursday. The jobholder should be flexible in their approach to hours worked as these will also be dictated by operational needs and may involve working out of hours.
Whilst the role will be based in Abu Dhabi, the jobholder will be required to visit the British Embassy in Dubai for work purposes, including to provide cover for our Dubai-based Government Relations Officer during periods of absence.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must attach 1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) and 2) a covering letter stating how you meet the requirements of the role. Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above.
Applications that do not include these information will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (UAE local time) on 11 January 2020.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for the next step of the recruitment process will be contacted.
The British Embassy Abu Dhabi is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
Foreign & Commonwealth Office - 15 days ago
How to Apply?